* Market Research.
* Product Development.
* World Domination.
We are a hungry group of
making the world a better place through the creation of businesses that
solve meaningful problems.
We believe in the future of web and mobile commerce and strive to disrupt it.
We are agile, go fast, and build products that delight our customers.
The Kemists Team
An entrepreneurial group of people who like to go fast and build awesome applications.
Hi, I'm Adil Wali. I build companies, get bored easily, and go really fast. I care tremendously about user experience, product vision, and building ridiculously good teams I love writing code, and do so when time permits.
I'm Brian Cleveland. and I'm committed to crafting excellent user experiences and visual design. I'm no stranger to attacking front-end coding for web apps, but I typically rely on wireframing, prototyping, and other tools of experience design.
Hi, I'm Jason Givens. I enjoy building great software whether it lives on the web or on a desktop. I've done a lot of cool desktop software development. I also love merchandising. I have a great eye for design talent.
Hi, I'm Jon Dean. I've written code in almost every web language, and love to design and sketch when no one is looking. I care a lot about doing things the right way, and do everything I can to balance pragmatism with best practices.
Hi, I'm Rafe Colton. I'm a software engineer and eternally a student. I love to learn new languages, and I take pride in my work. I make it a point to go fast, write great code, focus on the goal, be creative, and learn from my bugs.
Hi, I'm Matt Holloway. You might say I've been around the block a few times , and you wouldn't be wrong. I've been in this industry for 17 years, and I've seen the best and worst of software development. I care about doing things right, and doing the right things - which is what brought me to Kemists. I feel at home in a place where I can write clean code , go fast and have fun - Kemists IS that place. Now, let's write some code!
Hi, I’m Kay Mitchell, the resident muggle! With a background in admin, marketing, and public relations, I’m here to keep the engineers in check. I’m new to startup, but am definitely familiar with going fast. I love wearing many hats and doing #allthethings.
The Stuff We're Building
We are committing to innovating in the world of eCommerce. Not everything we try works. That's fine by us.
Onyx for Men
Curated subscription fashion for men.
Most of the men on the Kemists team hate shopping for clothes. So we tried a fun experiment in creating a subscription fashion service men. It turns out we didn't like fashion enough to keep doing it.
Special occasion reminder and last-minute gift curation service.
We wanted to be more thoughtful in giving gifts to important people in our lives. We build a social curation tool that helped us remember important dates and give us great gift ideas.
An awesome lifestyle brand for gamers with a powerful community.
We believe there should be an awesome lifestyle brand for gamers. So we're building one...
Work with us
Do you want to build awesome stuff with smart people? Join us!
There is some combination of raw talent and hunger that make people ridiculously good at what they do. We're looking for people that have that special combination.
We have a few open positions right now, but are always looking for exceptional talent (even if a role isn't posted.) Everyone who becomes a Kemist is a partner in the business, and we expect them to bring multiple talents to the table. In a small company like ours, attitude is everything. Jerks need not apply.
- * We don't care how many years of experience you have.
- * We don't care where (or if) you went to school.
- * We don't care if you've worked at a place that's "hot right now".
- * We care about how hungry you are.
- * We care about how fast you learn new things.
- * We care about your attitude and how fun you are to be around.
- * Interaction Design
- * Engineering
- * User Experience Research
- * Marketing
- * General Management
- * Operations
- * Visual Design
- * Product Vision
Roles we are looking for right now.
Kemists is seeking a world-class Senior Software Engineer that has the hunger to be more than just a cog in a giant machine. Very little about this position or this company are ordinary. We go fast, build lots of stuff at the same time, and strive to be at the forefront of innovation within the world of web and mobile commerce.
What success looks like:The Senior Software Engineer drives the development of our core eCommerce platform. This Engineer will work closely with our product management and design team to develop software solutions to real user problems. The organization will benefit from the pragmatic high-velocity approach of someone who loves to ‘ship’ software to customers fast and frequently. The right candidate is well-versed in best practices in scaling web applications, and influences the team positively without being dogmatic.
Success looks like: The organization learning faster and more effectively through rapid iteration of stable and usable software.
Responsibilities: The Senior Software Engineer will have a variety of technical responsibilities and routines, with focus areas evolving with the growth of the business:
- building new features from scratch
- refactoring software to be more performant and stable
- work closely with interaction designers and product managers to build requirements
- engaging in code review and pair-programming sessions to enhance the quality of the codebase
- tweaking and enhancing existing features based on customer feedback
- engaging in technical research ‘spikes’ that determine feasibility and effort associated with new features
A great Senior Software Engineer will:
- Push best practices in development without being dogmatic
- Have a bias for action and high-velocity development
- Have had exposure to unit-testing (TDD and BDD, primarily) in web languages
- Be a full-stack engineer, with the ability to write UI and application-level code
- Have significant exposure or experience in Python or Ruby
- No stranger to deploying applications and other devops responsibilities
- Have experience designing and architecting applications for scale
This is a full-time position for our Pittsburgh, PA and San Francisco, CA offices.
Kemists is seeking an experienced Interaction Designer (IXD) that has the hunger to be more than just a cog in a giant machine. This is no ordinary position in an ordinary company. We move fast, build a lot of stuff at the same time, and strive to be at the forefront of innovation within the world of web and mobile commerce.
What success looks like: The Interaction Designer is responsible for building and iterating on awesome interfaces for web and mobile applications. We believe in behavior-driven design and strive to be thoughtful in designing interactions that are intuitive and pleasing. A successful IXD will empower us to put real products in front of real people and to learn from their behaviors as quickly as we can. A successful IXD in this role will be able to ramp-up on new projects quickly and work toward a thoughtful ‘version 1.0’ product. Deliverables will come in many forms: wireframes, mockups, prototypes... anything that will help create a smooth process and perfect product.
The right person for this role will be committed to discovering the best product by objective analysis, user research and testing, and thoughtful discussion with the team. This attitude will drive a ‘design thinking’ attitude within the organization and keep the team engaged and having fun.
Responsibilities: The right IXD will be able to switch contexts from project-to-project very quickly. A range of responsibilities will include:
- user flow design and brainstorming
- low-fidelity interface design
- user testing and synthesis
- visual design and illustration
- experimental-design and result analysis
- market and design pattern research
Ideal Characteristics: The ideal IXD is a unique blend of thoughtful and high velocity. The right person is no stranger to thinking through the usability and flow of an application, but also has a ‘bias for action’ and getting designs live in front of users; they can’t be afraid to learn from their mistakes. The right IXD is not married to their own ideas, but willing to let the best ideas win. A wide-range of creative skills (from low-fidelity to high-fidelity) is desired.
A great IXD will:
- Have an eye for usability and minimalist design (seeking the greatest success from the lowest barriers for the user)
- Know how to go fast and iterate to make products better
- Be able to sketch out user flows and low-fi interfaces
- Have the ability to illustrate high-fidelity icons and interface elements
- Be an agile self-manager—constantly re-prioritizing the most important tasks, and driving for clarity when needed
- Attention to detail—not letting important design aspects slip through the cracks
- A quick study—learning new processes, technologies, and business units quickly
- Understand that balanced product management takes level-of-effort into account.
This is a full-time position for our Pittsburgh, PA office.
Kemists is seeking an all-star Business Development Generalist who strives to be in a growth company. This is the perfect role for someone who is great at sales and relationship management and wants to take point on large people-centric projects in an exciting startup environment. Kemists is a unique company: we go fast, build multiple products at the same time, and strive to be at the forefront of innovation while creating awesome customer experiences.
What success looks like: The Business Development Generalist will amplify our partner outreach efforts, yielding more partner agreements. Additionally, he or she will be working hands-on with our customers to learn more about their needs and will help define great solutions. As time permits, this person will contribute to our online and offline marketing strategies, boosting traffic around our eCommerce products. As the business grows, the Business Development Generalist will fearlessly envision and execute strategy around marketing, sales, and customer support.
Responsibilities: The right Business Development Generalist will be juggling a series of client-focused tasks to meet the demands of our growing business:
- customer communication and relationship management
- partnership discovery and outreach
- strategic planning and brainstorming
- marketing analytics and data insight
- sales talent pipelining and recruiting
web marketing campaign management
Ideal Characteristics: The ideal Business Development Generalist is a business development and sales ninja, possessing excellent organizational and analytical skills. This individual will have keen attention to detail and will have spot-on instincts about customers and brand positioning. The right person will also be eager for handling many responsibilities in a fast-paced company with equally-passionate team members.
A great Business Development Generalist will be:
- A top-notch communicator - with finely-tuned written and oral communication skills and able to interact with all levels of stakeholders effectively
- Detail-oriented - possessing the ability to manage parallel projects concurrently while being thoughtful about overall strategy and tactics
- Organized - capable of prioritizing and re-prioritizing in a fast-paced environment
- Insightful - with strong analytic and critical thinking skills
- Creative - able to brainstorm and implement dynamic new approaches for customer exposure and acquisition
- A quick study - learning and adapting to new processes with high velocity
- A fun person - hard-working with a sense of humor, unafraid to take on new roles and responsibilities as needed
This is a full-time position for our Pittsburgh, PA office.